Let’s say you’ve got to “get out of Dodge” quickly. You need to find a flight now but you’d still like to find some last minute travel bargains.
In the past you might have had to bite the bullet and pay whatever the travel agent was asking, but nowadays, with the internet, it’s even possible to find last minute travel deals.
If you’ve been looking at the travel industry there’s a lot of competition on the net. That’s really good news for travelers. We now have a lot more options for finding last minute travel packages. With a little bit of research we can compare the cost of airline tickets, hotels and car rentals. And with a little bit of luck we can even find a choice of last minute travel specials.
Here are 9 things to do for you to have a shot at getting those elusive last minute travel bargains.
- While it might not be convenient, if you can travel a day or two earlier or later than you planned you can usually get cheap airfare deals.
- Also, if you can leave early in the morning or perhaps take the “red eye” you could save some money.
Don’t Panic – Check Out Several Travel Websites
It’s not a good idea to freak out when you’re looking for last minute flights. Take an extra half hour to look.
- Check out several sites. You could find discounts that will save you a lot of money.
If you want to find one of the last minute travel specials it’s usually not a good idea to jump on the first thing you see.
Fly on Tuesday or Wednesday
If your schedule permits, try to book your flights mid-week. That’s usually the slowest part of the week.
- You can often save at least 25% on your airline tickets by flying on one of those days.
Sign Up For Travel Alerts
This you’re going to have to do in advance. Airlines email people that are on their travel alerts list about last minute travel bargains.
- So sign up today in case you might need it tomorrow.
Subscribe to Online Travel Newsletters
A lot of sites that are related to travel have newsletters.
- Some of them will let you know when there are last minute travel deals. They’ll send you an email when they find any last minute travel bargains that meet your criteria.
Look at Airlines Websites
Some airlines only post their last minute travel deals on their own website. Some airlines don’t post last minute travel specials on any website.
But because some do…
- when you check directly on the airlines’ websites you might find one of the last seats on a flight you want that you won’t find anywhere else.
Look for Package Deals
This could help if you’re traveling with someone.
- Sometimes you’ll find last minute travel packages that cover your airline tickets and hotel reservations, but they’re usually for double occupancy.
See If There’s Another Airport Nearby
If you’re flying into a major airport, check to see if there’s a smaller airport nearby.
- Often flying into a smaller airport can save you both time and money.
Find A Good Travel Agent
Again, this is something you’ll have to prepare for. Internet reservations have cut into travel agents’ income.
- A lot of times, in order to generate a loyal clientele, travel agents will use their inside information to find last minute travel bargains and pass them on to you.
If you find a travel agent who goes out of their way to help you, consider using them for making travel arrangements for you in the future. They could be worth their weight in gold.